Saturday, December 14, 2019

When You Are Called to Love

Luke 6:27-28 “But to you who are listening I say: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you."

Jesus instructed us all on how to act with those that mistreat us, hate us, and serve as enemies against us. Jesus lived this out when he prayed for those persecuting Him on the cross. But as a Christian, I seldom see Christians getting this part right and that includes me.

Several years ago when the kids were younger, we encountered our first "being let go" from our coaching jobs. This hurt tremendously as we had plans for being there a long time, we had family close by and we were turning a corner in the program and it was all taken away by a new Superintendent. We were all so disappointed and angry. I could tell bitterness could take an easy root in our angry hearts, so I did something about it. Everytime any of the four of us, had a negative thing to say about our circumstances of moving, we had to say at the end, "God Bless ______" (insert name of superintendent here). It developed to anytime one of us thought something negative about our move we'd say out loud "God Bless _____" It developed into all 4 of us finishing each other's sentences saying "God Bless ______" Now these blessings did not come out cheerful. They didn't sound genuine. And still today if something is said about that time period in our life it ends with "God Bless ____". But it did allow us to teach our kids to bless those who come against them and it did stop bitterness from taking control of us.

But since then, there have been many others who have come against us. There have been many decisions made by people that I just don't understand or agree with. I even tried to skirt by not having to pray for any of them by not letting anger take root in me and just forgiving those who come against our family. But God convicted me. The verse doesn't say "do good to those you hate" it says do good to those  who hate you "! So me forgiving them doesn't mean they don't still hate me".You still have to "Pray for those who mistreat you" even if you feel you have forgiven them, you really haven't forgiven them if praying for them is hard to do. 

To me this is the hardest thing Jesus asked us to do, love our enemies.  But when I look at it from a parents perspective, I can remember times when my son and daughter argued so much, fought over things, and truly were each other's biggest enemy. I remember separating the two, and reminding them that they are family, they are on the same team, and they need to love each other and help each other rather than fighting. And then I realize how I see my kids, is exactly how God sees all of us. We are all His children. That is why He wants us to love one another.

I challenge Christians everywhere to pray for those who come against you. It's OK if it's not genuine at first, keep praying, and even if your prayers don't change the person you are praying for, or don't change the circumstances, it will change you and serve as a barrier for your heart to not be consumed with bitterness and anger.

No comments:

Post a Comment